Friday, May 22, 2009

Navigating in a Fog


by Don Harkey

I have been working on a project this week where I couldn't see the end or how to get to the end. Has that ever happened to you where you know you need to do something, but you aren't sure how to do it or even what steps to take to find out? It is like walking in a thick fog. You slow down and get that strange, uncomfortable feeling...

As a strategic thinker, I love to know "where I am going". When I don't see a clear path forward, I get that "foggy" feeling. The temptation is to slow down and wait until the fog lifts. However, the right thing to do is probably to keep walking within your limited vision to try to find a clearing.

This week, I managed to force myself to keep walking. I always tell young project managers, if you are going to mess up a project, make sure you go down kicking and screaming, not whimpering on the floor in a fetal position. I took my own advice, despite my discomfort. I worked hard and looked around. When the fog didn't clear, I tried something else. Then I did it again and again and again, until finally, the fog lifted and I could see where I was going.

It is a horrible feeling (especially for a strategist!), but it is worth fighting through. I got some critical help from coworker and in the end, the client acknowledged that they couldn't see a clear path forward either and applauded our initiative in finally seeing the way to the end.

It reminds of me a true story. My family used to go to Minnesota every summer for vacations. My Dad loved to fish. One morning, he went out on the lake to fish, and a thick fog settled down on the lake. He could barely see the end of the boat. Suddenly, he wasn't sure how to get back to the dock.

He drove the boat slowly through the water talking to himself to notify the other fisherman that he was close. It was futile. He couldn't see anything. Finally, he stopped, thought a bit, and stood up in the boat. To his great surprise, the fog was only sitting about 3 feet on the lake. Above the fog, it was as clear as could be. The site was remarkable. The lake was covered by this thick cloud, but he could now see the shore. He could also see the heads of a few other fisherman who also figured out to stand up (or who had bigger boats!). The fishermen began to yell out to everyone in a boat to stand up to see over the fog. Within a few minutes, everyone located each other and the shore, and everyone found their way home safely.

If you find yourself in a fog at work or anytime in your life, it is important not to panic or go into hiding. Think, communicate, and ask for help. Try to do things that might clear up your view a bit. Try standing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment