Monday, May 4, 2009

19th Hole Network - Springfield


by Don Harkey

This last Friday, I attended the first "19th Hole Network" event organized by Sean Saunders, Kurt Theobald, and Brian Praschan (3 married men who like to hug... and that's "OK"). Sean is a golf pro at Swing Right Golf. Kurt is an entrepreneur at Classy Llama web design. Brian is a Financial Planner at Waddell and Reed. The event was held at Swing-Right Golf located on South National (waaaaaaay south after it turns to the west and just before it runs into Campbell).

The event was very well attended (I didn't count, maybe 40?) and there was a lot of energy in the room. Participants chatted with each other and hit a few golf balls (it appeared to be the first time for hitting for some... and that's "OK"). I met some great people at the event and Sean even spent some time with me correcting my drive. Reconstructing it might be a better term as I have never had a golf lesson.

I got to chat with Nancy Rose, a former microbiologist turned painter (and future golf pro). I chatted with Timothy vonBecker, a marketing strategist with Extend Interactive who has a bad back. I met a new sports medicine person (who's business card company failed her and who's name I can't recall) who just moved to the area from St. Louis and who got the world's fastest referral from me (I introduced her to Timothy).

I even got a chance to hit on the simulator, which is a cool experience by the way. I discovered that my ball velocity is 20-30 MPH slower than Sean's and that my drive swing is not only too fast, but very comical to watch (thanks for telling me all you past golfing buddies!). He fixed me right up and I look forward to breaking in my new drive on Rivercut this Saturday at the project HOPE golf tournament. (Yes, I'm breaking in a new drive at a tournament... and that's OK).

Michael DeFontes, from DFG Insurance, sponsored the event and spoke to the group about networking and building a business. His general message was to deliver quality to your customers and establish strong relationships.

All in all, it was a terrific event! I had a great time and met some high energy people. I can't wait until next month's 19th Hole Networking Event!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete