Thursday, March 26, 2009

Old Dogs and New Tricks


by Don Harkey

I want to start today by first apologizing for not writing yesterday and then to apologize for today's title. I don't mean to call anyone a dog and I don't mean to call anyone old. That's my disclaimer for the day!

When I was little, my parents got me our first video game system, one of the old Atari systems. I immediately went to work playing games like Space Invaders, Combat, and Canyon Bomber. My Dad was certainly the best at these games when we first started playing but over time (about an hour), I quickly lapped him in my video game ability and never looked back.

Fast forward almost 15 years... I'm in college living in a rental house with 2 roommates. The Mario 64 games is on and we're having great fun with the first person 3D gaming experience generations beyond the days of Combat. I thought I was getting pretty good at the game until my roommates cousin, who was roughly 8 years old, came by and showed us how to really play. He didn't have to pause and think before jumping from cloud to cloud (or whatever we jumped on).

Today, if I have a question the computer, I will go to the youngest person I can find (I can still outdo my 6-year old, but he is gaining on me fast). I think I stay up on computer and internet technology fairly well, but it is amazing how my abilities pale to those who grew up using the internet.

These observations lead to a lot of the discussion on the differences between generations. When we are young, are brains are actively making new connections. As we get older, we have more existing knowledge from which to draw, but our new connections are much more difficult to put together.

I once read about a study of NFL quarterbacks and how they have to "hardwire" their brains to do their jobs. Think about it. "Hike". You now have just a few seconds to drop back, look at receiver #1, look at receiver #2, look at receiver #3, and throw, all while watching the blitzing linebacker and acknowledging the defensive end who dropped back into coverage. Studies show that for a normal person, this process is simply too fast. The only way it can be done well is to do it so many times that the brain becomes literally hardwired to assess the situation quickly and make the decision. The greatest quarterbacks in the game are successful because of practice. I'm not talking about having a great summer training camp... I'm talking about having a career where you get to play A LOT of football. The best current example is Peyton Manning, who started 4 years at Tennessee and was immediately the starter with the Colts who put up with a few horrible years (and lots of Interceptions) before enjoying their more recent success.

Within an organization, leaders must work hard to create an environment where their people can be successful. This means learning and practicing new skills as well as utilizing skills that have already been "hardwired".

For example, when I am giving a seminar, I am constantly reading the room. I know who is engaged in the discussion and who is getting lost. I know who is skeptical about the information presented and I know who is really absorbing the information. I can tell when the room is energized and I can tell when the room really needs a break. I adjust the tone, content and style of my presentation accordingly. I can do all of this without consciously thinking about it. It is hardwired into my brain from years of experience in performing and speaking in front of people.

Now take someone who has never spoken in front of a group before. I could coach them and tell them to watch individuals and body language and adjust material accordingly, but they will struggle with that. They might be focusing on some more basic speaking principles like talking loudly enough, using good inflection, and remembering what material is coming next.

As a leader, you must identify the strengths of different people. Generational influences are often times just issues of what type of experience people have. Generational differences is a hot topic today because of the acceleration of technology. I am perfectly comfortable communicating with text messages, "tweets", and emails. Others are less comfortable. Some are more comfortable.

Consider the experiences of your people and put them in positions to be successful. Remember what skills require "hardwiring". Give the "old dogs" opportunities to use some of their "old tricks"!

No comments:

Post a Comment