Thursday, February 19, 2009

Atlas Shrugged... and the Earth Moved


by Don Harkey

Who is John Galt?

This is the opening line of book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. This book is often called one of the most influential books in history. It outlines the story of Dagny Taggert, a railroad executive trying to keep her railroad, and the world, from falling apart. I don't want to give more info on the plot, but I would like to provide you with a few quotes from the book.
The choice--the dedication to one's highest potential--is made by accepting the fact that the noblest act you have ever performed is the act of your mind in the process of grasping that two and two make four.

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it.

An inventor is a man who asks 'Why?' of the universe and lets nothing stand between the answer and his mind.

Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values.


In case you were wondering, this book did heavily influence me and, yes, my company is named after the character in the book. I'll leave you with one final quotation in the hopes you will try to answer the questions...
Why ask useless questions? How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky? Who is John Galt?

3 comments:

  1. My father would tell me no question is useless if you do not know the answer. How do we "go where no man has gone before" with asking these types of questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! "Who is John Galt?" is like saying "Who knows and who cares?" The answer for the "doer's" of the world is "I DO!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't read the book, you can save yourself some time by simply reading a newspaper or watching the news. It's different characters, but the same story.

    On second thought, you should still read the book. Everyone should know the real John Galt.

    ReplyDelete