Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spice of Life


by Don Harkey

It was my senior year and I was in my senior chemical engineering class. I was to give a 15 minute non-technical educational presentation on a topic of my choosing. I wasn't the first in my class to go. For a few days, students in the class had presented on various topics, although today, I cannot remember any of them. Obviously, the presentations were less than memorable.

I watched and thought simply that I can make this special. I can make this unusual. I can make this worthwhile. I can make this spicy.

The topic I chose was "Jazz". I stood up before the class and stammered, looking uncomfortable. "I came here to tell you about jazz. How do I describe jazz? How do I tell you about jazz?" I looked thoughtful and puzzled. The class shuffled in their seats, nervous at watching as I searched for an explanation.

Yet it was a ruse. Just like some spices that start out mild and then heat up after a few bites, I had a plan. I looked out of the door of the classroom as if I was looking for help, then I said, "Look! There's the University of Nebraska Vocal Jazz Ensemble!"

I went to the door, opened it, and in walked the other 7 members of the Vocal Jazz group I sang with. I proceeded with the presentation showing examples of rhythm and harmony. We quickly performed several different pieces highlighting each concept for the class. The students were certainly paying close attention. They were hooked.

I received a good grade, but probably not any better than if I had just prepared a regular presentation. The remaining students gave their presentations and I don't remember any of them.

I tell this story to challenge you. We are given countless opportunities in our lives and in our careers to add a little more spice to what we do and how we do it. We let many of those opportunities pass by every day because we just don't see the opportunity or because we are too self-conscious. Every once in awhile though, make sure to take one or two of those moments and spice it up a little.

Life isn't meant to be bland!

No comments:

Post a Comment