Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Networking 101: Lend a Hand


by Don Harkey

I have a secret. I'm not an expert at marketing. I know you are probably shocked, but its true! Even though my Dad taught marketing in high school for many years, I have never taken a single marketing class in my life. This proved to be somewhat of a handicap when I started my business, but I have sure learned a lot over the past few years.

One of the most effective forms of marketing is through networking. To put it simply, networking is establishing a network of relationships that hopefully point toward your business and lead you to new key contacts. While this sounds simple, it is actually a very unusual world for those who haven't really done it before.

Before I go on, I understand that most people think they know how to network. I did. Everyone knows people who know other people. This is basic networking, but the type of networking I am talking about here is deliberate networking. I am talking about walking into a room with 50 strangers and establishing meaningful and long lasting contacts.

The first question you might ask is "where do you network?". It turns out that there are a lot of people out there who want to network, so finding a place to network is not hard. Your local Chamber of Commerce likely sponsors several events per month designed for networking. Professional or service organizations are also great places for networking. Really, anywhere you can meet people is an opportunity to network. Once it gets in your blood, you are always networking.

That brings us to the heart of this article; "How do you network?". The first thing is that you have to drop the shyness. Keep in mind that others at a networking event came to network, so don't be self-conscience about sticking out your hand and saying, "Hi, my name is Don Harkey!" (only you should use your name instead). Networking events can seem chaotic and full of pressure. There are usually lots of people buzzing about flocking from person to person. I have even had people who view themselves as competitors of mine who shadow me and interrupt my conversations! No worries! If you just keep a simple networking objective in mind, you'll be OK.

Don't worry about generating business at the event. Just worry about making high quality relationships. The best way to make a high quality relationship is to listen and find a way to help the other person.

Sure there will be people frantically swarming around the room forcing business cards into people's hands along with mugs, T-Shirts, pamphlets, cookies, and whatever other type of marketing material they can carry. This is fine, but all it really does for the "mass networker" is fill up the trashcan outside the meeting area with their materials. You can't build a high quality relationship with 50 people in 15 minutes!

The best thing about the "high quality" approach is that it is much more fun and more natural. If you meet someone nice, reach out to them. Find out about their businesses and the challenges they face. Who is their ideal client? Can you connect them a resource or with another contact who can help them? Once again, the right thing to do is the right thing to do! In other words, helping people works!

OK. Your ultimate goal is to generate some work. I understand that. Think back to the work you already have or key opportunities you have had and how they came about. Very seldom does Person "A" walk up to Person "B" and successfully ask to be hired. Usually opportunities come from a complex and seemingly random series of events. I gave some good advice to Person "A" at an event who gives me an email for Person "B" who sets up a meeting with Person "C" who also knows Person "A" and Person "D" (whom you met last month) and wants to hire you.

Networking can be fun if you approach it the right way. Don't think about generating business, even though it is your ultimate goal. Think about genuinely helping out the people you meet. Listen to them. Don't be too anxious to get your pitch in. Often times, especially when talking to a small group, I won't even through out my business card or any materials. I just have the conversation and invariably, someone will approach me later and ask for my contact info (this is MUCH better than forcing it on someone). Have fun with it, listen, and lend a hand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment