Friday, February 13, 2009

Feelin' Small (Part 2)


by Don Harkey

I my entry yesterday, I detailed an experience I had almost 19 years ago. After writing the blog, a thought occurred to me. I "Googled" Dr. Fritz Mountford. It was easy to find him. He had actually started teaching at Hastings College in 2000 (9 years after the Honor Choir) and his email address was easy to find. I sent him an email along with a link to the blog story. By the afternoon, I received a response from Dr. Fritz, whom I hadn't talked to in over 18 years.

I won't share the whole email, but I wanted to share a part of it.

"Again, thanks for sharing your time, talent, and energy in the first place (yes, the concert is still in the same gymnasium!), and for carrying and spreading the experience in countless unknown ways since then, and endless thanks for reminding me why I still bound into rehearsals and leap up on the podium as if my life depended on it! Best wishes for continued success. - Fritz"

The technology of the internet has given us an easy way to reach across the years and show thanks to people who have meant so much to us. My Dad, a life long teacher who passed away 2 years ago, loved these types of affirmations. It helps give a clarity of purpose on why we get up in the morning and why we work so hard to reach others, often in seemingly small ways.

I don't care if you work for a profit or a non-profit, a big organization or a small one, or even if you don't work at all. You have opportunities every day to make a positive impact the people around you. Go ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment