Sunday, January 11, 2009

Personal Current


by Don Harkey



Have you ever gone swimming in a river? It is amazing how even a slow moving current can impact swimming. If you try to swim against the current, you will find yourself tired very quickly. However, if you are willing to go with the current a little, you can get around in the river without getting too tired.

Strengths are a little like that. We have all been given certain strengths and weaknesses. In our culture, we are often told that we need to work on our weaknesses. However, this can be like swimming against a current. Imagine a person who struggles in math trying to become an accountant or a person who isn't good with their hands trying to become a carpenter. It is possible, but it will be a struggle.

Instead, imagine focusing on your strengths. The math wiz becomes the accountant. The hands-on person becomes a carpenter. This frees up the person to truly become great at their job. This is important because competence is one of the 3 key factors to motivation.

But how do you find out exactly what your strengths are? Sure, you might know that you are good at Wii Bowling (which I am not) or can play a mean bass guitar, but unless you hit the video game circuit or decide to go on tour, what good will that do you?

There are many different studies out there that give people ways to discover their strengths. One of the most famous is the Myers-Briggs test which shows people, for example, whether they are a "thinker" or a "feeler". The problem with this test is that it is difficult to get specific on what to work on.

A good test which I have used is the result of a study by Gallup called Strengthsfinder. If you Google Strengthsfinder 2.0, you will find a book available for purchase online from many different bookstores. The book contains a code that can be used to take an online 45 minute test. This test will tell you what your top 5 strengths are. (note: make sure not to buy a used book as the code is only good once)

I took the test and found out that my top strength is that I am strategic. I approach almost everything from a strategic perspective. How will this move impact the next? I am also an "activator", which means I am likely to make quick decisions and am anxious to act. What is the value of this information?

These 5 strengths give you insight to your "personal current". By knowing this, you can gear everything in your life toward swimming with your current. For example, my second biggest strength is that I am a "learner". This means that any career I choose and even my leisure activities should involve learning. That is why I enjoy reading and visiting museums. However, I must remember that I am also an activator, so I should always be looking for ways to apply my learned knowledge. My experience is that this is when I am the happiest.

Where does your personal current lead? I recommend that you find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment